IMPORTANT 8th GRADE INFORMATION FROM SMHS BOOSTER CLUB
From SMHS BOOSTER CLUB
- Meeting at SMHS for incoming Band and Color Guard Families
Date: Thursday, 4/19
Place: SMHS Band Room
- Mandatory KR Instrumental Rehearsal (for all Band students including Incoming Freshman) Everyone who wants to be part of the KR Marching Band this fall must attend this rehearsal!
Date: Saturday, 6/9
Place: SMHS Band RoomThere will also be an optional Parent Meeting at the same time, intended to answer all Marching Band related questions. Please put both these events on your Band Band Calendars, if possible.
- Potential Color Guard Students – Important Info. Regarding Workshops, Auditions and Addtl. Parent Meeting You’ll probably be aware that Color Guard is an integral part of our Band program here at SMHS, our KR Marching Band would be nothing without them. It’s difficult for us to communicate with those families when there is no equivalent program at your schools. We’d really appreciate some help in this regard – please can you:
- Ask for the attached flier and link (SMHS Color Guard Auditions for Incoming Freshman) to be posted on your schools website,
- Print out the attached flier and post it around school
- Advise any potential CG parents to come to our Parent Meeting next week.
8th GRADE DPS BAND
In the 8th grade, Double peak students have the option of different electives other than music. However, if your student has at least a year experience on a musical instrument, then they may join Concert band, or Symphonic Winds. If your student does not have any experience on an instrument but would like to explore the world of music, then we offer Beginning Band as well to 8th graders.
It is my experience that 8th graders who join Beginning Band, often learn at an accelerated rate and are able to join one of the other Bands, Concert or Symphonic Winds during the second semester!
This means that these students often will join the higher bands in time to attend the Music Festivals, including our annual Festival at Knotts Berry Farm!
Finally, and most importantly, 8th graders will be heading to the High School next year and being a part of the band offers a great deal of camaraderie between the students who are graduating, as well as, with the upperclassmen at the High School who are in the Band.
Bottom line is that Band kids are the Best Kids!!